This flavourful and cozy soup is infinitely adaptable and all sorts of healthy thanks to the nutritional superhero: the cabbage!
Vegetables like cabbage, kale, and broccoli are full of beneficial nutrients. So, if you are trying to improve your diet, cruciferous vegetables are a great place to start!
Today’s recipe for smoky cabbage and roasted pepper soup is super easy to make and one of the most adaptable soups – you can add other veggies [ try carrots, leeks, potatoes, kale … ], rice, barley, bulgur, lentils, chickpeas, beans, plant based minced, soy granulate, vegan meatballs, tofu and many more!
Why take time and effort to roast the peppers?
To prepare the soup we could easily use fresh peppers and sauté them together with cabbage but roasting enhances their sweetness and adds a wonderful smoky char depth and silky texture.
How to roast peppers?
Roasting peppers is very easy:
Place washed peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 350F [ 190°C ].
Place peppers in the center of the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, or until soft and charred.
Note, that once removed from the oven peppers will deflate and become wrinkly – that’s totally normal.
How to steam and peel roasted peppers?
Steaming really helps the skin peel away easily!
Place hot, roasted peppers in a pan or a bowl and cover with a lid, large plate or plastic wrap [ or use a container with a lid, to seal in the moisture ].
Set aside for 20 minutes then peel the skins off and remove stems and seeds. Once peeled, cut the peppers as desired.
Smoky cabbage and roasted pepper soup
- medium cooking pot
- baking sheet
- ½ head white or Italian cabbage shredded
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 red peppers
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- fresh dill for decoration
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F [ 190°C ].Place washed peppers on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for about 30 minutes, or until soft and charred
- Transfer roasted peppers into a pan or a bowl and cover with a lid, large plate or plastic wrap.Set aside for 20 minutes then peel the skins off and remove stems and seeds. Once peeled, cut into stripes. Set aside
- In a large pot, sauté the diced onions and shredded cabbage for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin seeds, cayenne pepper/chili [ optional ]
- Let the cabbage sweat for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring from time to time. It should get nice and soft
- Pour in the vegetable broth [ or water ], add tomato paste and season with salt and pepper - if needed. Let it simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened to your liking
- Remove the pot from heat, stir in roasted peppers and fresh dill , and serve!You can drizzle the soup with good extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper or chili flakes
115 kcal | Carbohydrates 14 g | Protein 9 g | Fat 3 g | Fiber 2 g
How to store and reheat smoky cabbage and roasted pepper soup?To store leftovers: Make sure to let your soup come to room temperature. Then store in the fridge, covered for up to 5 days.
Ways to freeze: Once the soup is cooled, pour it into a freezer safe container. It will stay good for several months in the freezer.
How to reheat: To reheat a single serving, pour it into a small pan and warm it up on the stovetop [ you can also pour it into a bowl and microwave it for a few minutes until warmed through ]. For a bigger batch, just pour it back into the pot and warm it up on the stovetop.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!