Any occasion to treat your guests with something tasty is good and the holiday season is perfect for such occasions.
I often set the fermented beetroot juice and each time I try to figure out how to use the leftover pickled beetroots.
Usually I add beets to the salads or simply eat them as a snack. This time I prepared a beautiful, pink hummus!
Don’t have pickled beets? You can use roasted or even raw beets! Beetroots are a vibrant and very versatile vegetable. They’re known for their earthy flavor and aroma. They are not only pretty and delicious – beets are highly nutritious and contain a bit of almost all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs!
Above that, beets:
– keep your blood pressure in check
– can improve athletic performance
– help fight inflammation
– improve digestive health
– support brain health
– help prevent cancer
To maximize their nutritional benefits it’s best to avoid boiling beets. You can juice, roast, steam, or pickle or even enjoy them raw!
Purchasing beets choose ones with fresh, unwilted skin.
Pickled beetroot hummus
- powerful blender or food processor
- 1 cup pickled beetroot cut in smaller pieces. Can be substituted by roasted or raw beets
- 1 can [ 14 ounce ] chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 5 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- ¼ tsp cumin ground
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- salt to taste
- ice cold water as much, as needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Put chickpeas, beetroot, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice and tahini paste into a blender
- Start blending, adding cold water until reaching desired consistency
- Season to taste with salt and/or extra lemon juice - if needed
- Serve with good quality extra virgin olive oil, sesame seeds, dill, parsley, coriander, chili flakes ...
Energy value 157 kcal | Carbohydrates 139 g | Protein 76.5 g | Fat 5 g | Fiber 2.5 g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!