Making meatless shawarma is not as difficult as it may seem – the secret is in the spices! A
properly selected mixture will transform the oyster mushrooms into a delicious, filling and
tasteful dish that does not differ much from the original.
Vegan shawarma is lighter, healthier and just as aromatic and tasty as the traditional one!
How to make your own shawarma spice mix?
Easy! All you need are:
1 tbsp of sweet red paprika
1⁄4 – 1⁄2 tsp hot pepper
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1⁄2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp of ground cloves
1⁄2 tsp turmeric
1⁄2 tsp of ground fennel seeds
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp of fenugreek
a pinch of ground allspice
Mix all ingredients together.
If you’re using whole spices, lightly toast them in a dry frying pan to add more flavor, then grind into a powder.
Put the ready mixture into a jar and store it like any other spices.
Oyster mushroom shawarma
- frying pan
- 10 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp shawarma spice mix
- 2 pita breads or Lebanese bread
- mix of veggies of your choice to fill the bread
- 1 cup vegan yogurt unsweetened
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic small, finely chopped or grated
- salt to taste
- pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Tear oyster mushrooms into strips and place in a medium bowl
- Mix with shawarma spice and season with salt
- Heat oil in frying pan then add mushrooms
- Fry on medium heat, until golden, stirring from time to time
- In the meantime : combine yogurt with lemon juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper - set aside
- Stuff pitas with greens of your choice [ baby romaine, arugula, tomato, cucumber, peppers ... ] then add fried oyster mushroom shoarma
- Drizzle with yogurt sauce and enjoy!
Keep refrigerated for ut to 4 days. Nutritional value [ half of oyster mushrooms, without bread and sauce - see info on the package]
101 kcal | Carbohydrates 8 g | Protein 4.5 g | Fat 5 g | Fiber 3.5 g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!