Oven Paella? Why not! You can make this delicious dish with a few simple ingredients like rice, saffron, vegetables and beans. I guarantee that you’ll fall in love with this comforting dish!
What is Paella?Paella is a Spanish dish made with rice, saffron, vegetables and protein like chicken or seafood. Traditionally, it is cooked and served in a special pan, but I’ve decided to give an oven paella a try and let me tell you – it is SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS.
What I LOVE about this recipe?
NO PAELLA PAN NEEDED: You can use a regular skillet or oven safe dish
ONE POT MEAL & MINIMAL PREP WORK: this recipe doesn’t require sautéing and is made in one dish – that means quicker cooking and less clean-up
ADAPTABLE: there are many ways of adapting this paella recipe – use any of your favorite vegetables, such as peppers, spinach, zucchini, eggplant, green peas, green beans, tofu, lentils, chickpeas …
IngredientsThe main ingredients of this vegan Paella are rice, saffron vegetables and kidney beans. I didn’t feel the need to use any store bought meat or seafood substitutes – vegetables are more than enough!
WHAT WILL YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
RICE : paella rice would be the best, but you can easily use long grain rice in this recipe
VEGETABLES : red onion, garlic, tomatoes, parsley and artichokes
BEANS : I used red kidney beans but any other bean will work in this recipe
SPICES : chili, saffron and salt
TOMATO PASTE : for and extra tomato taste and beautiful color
VEGETABLE BROTH : homemade or good quality store bought
Oven paella with artichokes and tomatoes
- oven safe dish or skillet
- 1 cup rice dry
- 3 cups vegetable broth boiling hot
- 1 cup beans cooked or tinned
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional, more for serving
- 1 red onion peeled and quartered
- 2 - 3 medium tomatoes peeled sliced thickly
- 4 artichoke hearts fresh or tinned
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- cayenne pepper or chili optional, to taste
- salt to taste
- fresh parsley optional, for serving
- lemon juice optional, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F [ I like to heat the dish, too ].
- Place dry rice in the hot casserole dish.
- Combine the boiling broth with the saffron, olive oil, tomato paste and chili.
- Pour the broth over the rice, add the beans and stir well, making sure that the beans are evenly distributed.
- Place slices of tomato, artichokes, quartered onion and garlic slices on top - initially they will be submerged in the broth, but as the rice swells, vegetables will rise and bake nicely.
- Put the Paella in the oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until all the broth is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and decorate with parsley before serving.
303 kcal | Carbohydrates 51 g | Protein 9 g | Fat 5 g | Fiber 4.5 g
How to store and reheat this Paella?To store leftovers: Make sure to let your Paella come to room temperature. Then store in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days.
How to reheat: to reheat, cover the dish with a tin foil and place it in the oven, at 300F for about 10 – 15 minutes until warmed through.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!