I love potatoes in any form! They are versatile and packed with a variety of nutrients. Potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Studies have linked potatoes and their nutrients to a variety of impressive health benefits, including improved blood sugar control, reduced heart disease risk and higher immunity. Not bad for a simple potato? Right!
It’s important to note the skin of the potatoes contains a great amount of vitamins and minerals
Peeling potatoes can significantly reduce their nutritional content.
Contrary to popular belief, potatoes are not fattening.Boiled potatoes are low in calories and fat, and their high fiber content helps you feel full. The nutritional content of potatoes can vary depending on the variety and how they are prepared.
Overall, potatoes contain more vitamins and nutrients than rice, but when you add toppings such as butter, sour cream, gravy … the number of calories and fat grams increases significantly.
This potato salad makes the perfect lunch or side dish and will shine at your next barbecue party.
The dressing here is a red-wine vinegar and dijon vinaigrette that develops great flavor after marinating with capers, gherkins and finely chopped herbs. As the potatoes cool, they’ll absorb the dressing beautifully! The key is to add them to the dressing as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
Herby potato salad ingredients:The ingredient list is not long. You can swap herbs I’ve used for your favorite ones, add olives, diced red onion or some chili for an extra kick.
Can I make potato salad in advance?Potato salad is perfect for making in advance as the potatoes soak up the flavors in the dressing over time. Salad can be made 3 days in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator.
Herbs may lose a little of their color and freshness, so for the freshest tasting potato salad made ahead of time, toss the potatoes with the dressing and store covered in the fridge. Then, when you are ready to serve it, toss the herbs in.
How long does potato salad last?Keep the potato salad refrigerated and covered for 3 to 4 days.
Easy herby potato salad
- 2 pounds small potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp capers without brine
- 6 small gherkins
- 1 clove garlic finely grated
- ¼ cup parsley and dill chopped
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper or to taste
- Wash the potatoes and place in a large pot.Add a little salt and enough water to cover generously. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes, until just tender when pierced with a fork - be careful not to overcookDrain and set aside until just cool enough to handle.
- While the potatoes cook, in a large bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, garlic and olive oil with ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper Finely chop capers, gherkins and fresh herbs
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the dressing. Stir in chopped herbs, capers and gherkins and season with salt if needed.
- Serve the potato salad at room temperature.
289 kcal | Carbohydrates 39.7 g | Protein 6 g | Fat 6.7 g | Fiber 5.7 g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!