Sweet, salty, smoky – simply delicious! Grilled watermelon is great by itself and makes a perfect side dish. You can also add it to a salad.
Using everyday ingredients like extra virgin olive oil, a little salt and pepper and a sprinkle of vegan feta
will help you transform a simple watermelon into a delicious summer [ side ] dish.
Simply throw fruit on the barbecue and use your favorite vegan cheese brand – I used a plant-based feta cheese from one of the local supermarkets – Jumbo.
Natural sugars in the watermelon caramelize on the grill, leaving it even sweeter than a fresh fruit. As far as it goes for the texture, the watermelon will toughen up a bit when thrown on the barbecue. Some say that grilled watermelon resembles a steak. I wouldn’t go that far. I had my fair share of steaks before going vegan and watermelon for sure doesn’t taste like one. It is delicious though and definitely worth trying!
How to grill watermelon?It is really easy! Use a little bit of olive oil, to prevent sticking, sprinkle each side with a little bit of salt and then place on indirect heat for a few minutes per side. The goal is to have a caramelized outside and a juicy center.
What are the top health benefits of watermelon?Sweet and juicy watermelon is a perfect treat to satisfy your thirst during the summer heat. It’s also packed with nutrients and has numerous health benefits.
Here are a few:
Grilled watermelon with vegan feta
- barbecue or grill pan
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil more for serving
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- vegan feta
- cilantro for serving
- Get your watermelon ready :- start by cutting your watermelon in half- take one of those halves, face it red side down, and cut it in half again- place the watermelon on its side and slice into thick pieces
- Brush watermelon slices with olive oil, to prevent sticking and season lightly with salt and pepper
- Place on indirect heat for a few minutes per side
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, crumbled vegan feta and fresh cilantro
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!