That’s why, usually, I don’t even bother cooking them. Most of the time just buy those without salt or other additives, available at my local supermarket.
Legumes are low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They are also a great source of fiber and protein making them a healthy substitute for meat and a healthy addition to soups, curries, stews or, as in today’s recipe, salads.
What will you need to prepare chickpea and red cabbage salad?This salad is very simple, ready in no time and it will keep you full for hours! All you need are some cooked or canned chickpeas, shredded red cabbage, carrot and parsley or cilantro.
Easy, tangy mayo-mustard-garlic dressing will bring it all to life.
Chickpea and red cabbage salad goes great with various types of meat substitutes, baked potatoes, served in a bun, pita bread or wrapped in a tortilla.
Other versions of chickpea salad.You can replace chickpeas with any kind of beans or lentils, preparing a slightly different but equally tasty version of the salad. Try adding more vegetables to it : radishes, peppers, celery, white or napa cabbage, spinach and kale work great too!
Chickpea and red cabbage salad
- 1 mandoline slicer
- vegetable shredder
- medium bowl
- ¼ head red cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 cup | 170 g chickpeas cooked or canned
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 handful parsley or cilantro chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp vegan mayonnaise I used low fat version
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- juice of half lemon more to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper optional
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise with the mustard, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and a clove of garlic.
- Chop the cabbage finely - a mandolin or a food processor will be useful, but you can also do it with a knife or grate the cabbage on a coarse grater. Transfer to a bowl with dressing.
- Add peeled and shredded on coarse grater carrots and chopped parsley.
- Add the chickpeas [ sometimes I like to mash half the chickpeas with a fork ].
- Season with salt and pepper and combine with the dressing.Taste and adjust adding more salt, pepper or lemon juice if needed.
Energy value 230 kcal | Carbohydrates 35 g | Protein 11 g | Fat 4.5 g | Fiber 12 g
How to store chickpea and red cabbage salad?Store your salad in an airtight container or a jar for up to 4 days.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!