Try this delicious, easy to make and very satisfying brothy beans.
I love this recipe! Beans are one of my favorite ingredients. They are budget friendly, delicious, versatile and let’s not forget – super nutritious!
And so it’s this recipe. Imagine a herby, aromatic broth full of tender beans served with crispy, garlicky sourdough toasts, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
I could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What will you need to prepare brothy beans?
This recipe calls for only few ingredients and thanks to the use of canned beans, it’s ready in no time.
BEANS : I used brown, but other variety or the combination of few will work in this recipe
HERBS AND SPICES : thyme, bay leaf, savory and Mediterranean herbs
PRODUCE : onion, garlic, fresh chili pepper
VEGETABLE BROTH : homemade or store bought
TO SERVE : sourdough bread, lemon juice, good quality extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground pepper
What to serve beans with?I like to serve my brothy beans with roasted sourdough bread. Simply brush bread slices with olive oil on both sides and toast in a skillet. When toasty, rub each piece with a clove of garlic.
You can also serve beans with cooked pasta or over rice, barley or bulgur.
How to store it?Make sure to let your beans come to room temperature. Then store in the fridge, covered for 4 – 5 days. Beans are even more delicious the next day!
This recipe is also freezer friendly. Freeze for up to three months by placing it in an airtight container or freezer bags.
Brothy beans with garlic toasts
- Cooking pot
- 2 cups beans cooked or canned
- 3½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried savory
- 1 tsp dried Mediterranean herbs
- 1 dried porcini mushroom
- 1 small bay leaf
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
OPTIONAL, FOR SERVING
- sourdough bread
- olive oil
- lemon wedges
- freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in the cooking pot.Add onion and garlic into the pot and sauté until vegetables are softened and translucent.
- Add grated ginger, sauté for few seconds, stirring and pour in the vegetable broth. Add beans, bay leaf, thyme, dried herbs, chili pepper [ pricked with a knife ], porcini mushroom and bring to a boil. Season with pepper and salt [ if needed ], then lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, brush bread slices with olive oil on both sides and toast in a skillet. When toasty, rub each piece with a clove of garlic.
- Divide toast onto the plates and pour in the brothy beans. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice before serving.
188 kcal | Carbohydrates 22 g | Protein 8.3 g | Fat 6.7 g | Fiber 0.5 g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!