Summer went by so quickly and it makes me a little sad.
Here in the Netherlands, the weather is not the friendliest. I love this country, but each year I have a really hard time surviving the fall / winter period.
A little consolation is the fact that autumn is the perfect time for soups, which I, as you probably know, adore! A few days ago, while making my vegetable stew, I got an idea for an amazing soup – so here it is – barley, lentil, kale and mushroom soup. Very satisfying, easy to make and what’s important, healthy!
Barley, lentil, kale and mushroom soup
- medium size cooking pot
- fine sieve
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or finely grated
- 2 cups chanterelle mushrooms cut in half if needed
- 2 cups white mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 6 dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 handful kale chopped
- fresh parsley to serve
- 1 cup barley rinsed
- ⅔ cup brown lentils rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- ⅓ tsp chili flakes or to taste
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper generous amount, to taste
- Prepare the ingredients : cut the onion and carrot into very small cubes ; mince garlic cloves; chop kale and parsley; slice the mushrooms; rinse barley and lentils under cold water using a fine sieve. Get your spices ready and set everything aside
- Warm the olive oil in a pot over medium heat
- Once warm, add the onion and the carrots - cook stirring often until soft
- Follow with garlic, chili and mushrooms
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, then pour in the wine
- Wait for the alcohol to evaporate and pour the broth over the mushrooms
- Add barley, lentils, dried porcini and kale
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, chili flakes and cook over low heat for 15 - 20 minutes
- Serve with chopped parsley and bread, drizzled with good, cold pressed olive oil
Keep the soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month. Nutritional value - portion, without bread
187 kcal | Carbohydrates 22 g | Protein 7 g | Fat 5 g | Fiber 4 g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @vitobites on Instagram and hashtag it #vitobites.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Pinterest!